Nuggets vs Hornets
Pepsi Center 6pm
Our first Nuggets game of the season. Wasn’t sure what to expect.
Jersey Geoff and his family must have been think’n the same thing as my family because we ran into him up in the thin-air section (300 section). This was their first Nuggets game of the season as well.
Gold Medalist Missy Franklin was at the game. (Denver resident but not Colorado native).
Pre-Game the Nuggets recognized Andre Iguodala for helping Team USA win the Olympic gold medal. Andre scored 23 points, 6 assists and had 2 rebounds tonight!
Nuggets also recognized center Timofey Mozgov for winning a bronze medal while playing for his native Russia.
The face of the Nuggets have changed so I’ll hit you with some player names.
Kenneth Faried..14 points and 12 rebounds tonight.
Nuggets 102..Hornets 84
.Nugget’s are now 8-6 on the season and the win tonight was their 4th in a row. I must say at first I didn’t like the new uniforms, but they’re starting to grow on me.
Love that Old Skool logo.
I’m “D” the Ranter…Doing my best to be a well-rounded sports blogger :)
Rockies new Skipper…Walt Weiss
If your an old skool Rockies fan you love Walt Weiss’s play. Walt was a solid defensive shortstop and knew how to get on base.
Walt has a lifetime OBP of .351 and hit .258 for his career.
I wasn’t sure how I felt about Weiss as the new Skipper though. I like other Rockie fans have questions like…
How do you bypass coaching in the minor leagues entirely and go right from High School to the Major Leagues?
Why only the one year contract?
How much say will Walt have in the hiring of his new staff?
When can we lose the purple dinosaur?
What’s your first move?
I listened to Drew Goodman and Scott Hastings interview Walt yesterday afternoon on the radio and I really like how Walt answered these types of questions.
Here’s a link to that interview:
So I figure since none of us fans have a say in who gets picked as the new Manager, really all I can do as a fan is see what Walt’s been able to accomplish a year from now.
The Rockies have some intriguing pieces in this puzzle. Walt’s got 12 months to see what he can do with this Rocky Mountain rubiks cube.
Here’s a lil slice of Walt Weiss
1. Walt was initially drafted by the Orioles in the 10th round of the 1982 amateur draft. Walt decided to postpone his pro ball career and attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel HIll. In 1985 Walt was the 11th overall pick.
2. Walt’s first Major League appearance was in Sept of 1987 in a Oakland A’s uniform.
3. In 1998 Walt batted .280 and made the All-Star team (The All-Star game that year was held at Coors Field), for the Braves his first and only time.
4. Also in 1988 Walt made a costly error (Walt’s fault) in Game 4 of the World Series allowing the Dodgers to win the series in 5 games. That year Walt was awarded the American League Rookie of the Year Award, becoming the third consecutive Oakland player to win the award, following José Canseco and Mark McGwire.
5. In 1992 Walt was traded from the A’s to the newly formed Marlins and in 1993 played 158 games. At the end of the 1993 season Walt became a free agent and signed with the Rockies becoming the first player to have played for both expansion teams the Rockies and Marlins.
6. Walt played shortstop for the Rockies from 1994-97 and was a special assistant to Dan O’Dowd from 2002-08.
7. Walt retired an Atlanta Brave in 2000 with his last game played on Oct 1st 2000 against the Colorado Rockies in Atlanta. Rockies won 10-5.
8. Walt was the head varsity coach for Regis Jesuit High School in Aurora, Colorado. Weiss let his team to the 5A semifinals his first season.
Walt’s been involved in professional baseball for 20+ years. Is he what the Rockies are looking for?
I’m “D” the Ranter and what I do know is I’ll be at my Tuesday games and those 10 bobble head games. If there’s no inspiration to make any more games it’ll be…